Anonymous

Duxford Triumph show

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 24 May 2009 21:25

Hi,
What a scorcher [8D] Excellent meet [:D] Met Paul W and Rob at Macky Dee's at 9.30 for coffee ect got in to Duxford 10 ish, every conceivable Triumph ever made and lots of them, 500 + [:0] Met loads of old and new Triumph friends, including Ian TR8, Wayne S, John Clancy ect ect. Spent 1 hour or so chatting Triumphs then of round the displays, whole day walking from hanger to hanger on this vast site! High lights for me touching a Lockheed Blackbird (last time i saw one it was 20 years ago surrounded by guys willing to shoot you for that!) Going on Concorde, walking under a B52, watching a Flying Fortress fly in and out, chatting with the owner of a Spitfire and being invited into the closed off to the public workshops to inspect a stripped down Rolls Royce Merlin that had broken a rod whilst being run up [xx(] What a mess but repairable apperently ,when 27 litres goes wrong it does so in a big way!!! Oh and of course enjoying a beer (just the one [;)] ), Spitfire Ale of course [:p] , with friends. Only downside, sun burnt head!!!

'The Three Amigo's '

Just about the last to leave!!!

Sorry no other car pictures just planes!
Cheers John

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!

paul w
Wedgista

Postby paul w » 24 May 2009 23:18

John's just about summed up a great day so heres more pics.-
Wayne's dad's car
The Blackbird for John
A10 tank buster
Concord
Hawker Harrier
Supermarine Spitfire
USAF Phantom
Vulcan bomber(in the middle)

See ya',Paul.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Ianftr8
Swagester

Postby Ianftr8 » 25 May 2009 17:17

Great to see you all chaps,

Another brilliant day so much to see - as you said John that engine was certainly a mess - if you fancy a trip into P&A Woods to see them repairing and rebuilding Merlin engines at some time I will arrange a trip round.

So many Triumphs - I couldn't think of a model that wasn't represented - even a courier just like my one.

Off to put more after sun on my sun burn.

Cheers
Ian

Ian Freeman
1979 TR8 DHC California car that never crossed the pond, started life as KDU 315V.
1962 Triumph Courier

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 25 May 2009 17:55

Looks like you had a grand day out, guys.

I have always wanted to visit Duxford, being something of a fan of the old (& not so old) warbirds. Must put the Triumph day on next years calendar.

Thanks for the pictures Paul. I glimpse the TSR2 in there next to the Vulcan - probably the greatest warplane of it's generation but never to go into service, thanks to being cancelled by a bankrupt Labour government who then committed industrial vandalism & destroyed the whole program ...... sorry I'll get off my soapbox[:I]

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red - sadly sold!</font id="size1">

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 25 May 2009 21:38

Hi Tony,
Paul had a flyer under his wipers when we eventualy returned to our cars telling of another Club Triumph meet there in October. My dad was to work on the TSR2 if it went into production, he worked for BOAC in there engineering dept in the early 60's.
Love to have another look at those Merlins Ian, something that looks that good and sounds that good cannot be wrong [8D]
Cheers John

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!

tr7inc
Wedgista

Postby tr7inc » 25 May 2009 21:43

Paul, ive been there a few times, the muesum is very impressive, particulary the American aircraft section, in which the way its been built, all those aircrafts hanging over that awsome Blackbird, and of course my all time fav aircraft is there the Vulcan Bomber.

Steve
1979 BL Press Car Pre Production Prototype Inca Yellow DHC

tr7inc
Wedgista

Postby tr7inc » 25 May 2009 22:00

Should also put sorry Paul, good pics of the museum

Steve

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 25 May 2009 22:17

Sadly I'll never again return to Duxford as I was criminalized for using a camcorder! I kid you not.

Gawd only knows what they'll threaten you chaps with for putting photos of their planes up on a public forum given that they wanted £200 off me for shooting some video of <i>OUR</i> cars!!!

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

paul w
Wedgista

Postby paul w » 25 May 2009 22:31

Tony,the Herts and Beds area Triumph sports six club are holding the
Duxford all Triumphs day on October 4th,£9.95 per person.
Steve, i always liked the Vulcan,but it was great to get on board
Concorde too.I was disappointed not to see a Tomcat there but the
F111 made up for it.More pics.-

See ya',Paul.

ImageImageImageImageImage

tr7inc
Wedgista

Postby tr7inc » 25 May 2009 22:33

Blimey John, i never knew they would do that, i think all the times ive been i'll keep the photos i took, i'll just keep to myself rather than sticking them online anywhere, hope youre keeping well John

Steve

Wayne S
Swagester

Postby Wayne S » 25 May 2009 22:41

Nice to see you all chaps! What a cracking day we had in the sunshine, although I hope that wasn't the whole of summer for this year!

I'll put my pics up soon, was chuffed to have the wide bum Grinnall of mine promoted to the TR Register stand on arrival!

Had a great look round all the aircraft hangars, could get lost in there!

<b>2.0 Litre DHC Grinnall
Red 4.0 Litre V8 DHC Grinnall (with huuuuuge arches...!)</b>

Alec Pringle
Scuttle Shaker

Postby Alec Pringle » 26 May 2009 00:01

"<i>Sadly I'll never again return to Duxford as I was criminalized for using a camcorder! I kid you not.

Gawd only knows what they'll threaten you chaps with for putting photos of their planes up on a public forum given that they wanted £200 off me for shooting some video of OUR cars!!</i>!"

Well if that's their attitude, the simple answer is to boycott the place. Or else turn up team handed, and teach them not to be presumptuous. I was intending to visit Duxford next time I was up that way, but sod that for a game of soldiers - they can take a flying f*ck at themselves.

Cheers,

Alec

John Clancy
TRiffic

Postby John Clancy » 26 May 2009 08:35

My attitude entirely Alec. Up until this point I'd always shouted the praises of the Duxford museum to anyone thinking of visiting. I did speak to the duty manager before I left and he was very apologetic but he wasn't the authority to bend the museum's rules. So for me it was a completely wasted trip which coming from Cornwall cost a lot in time and money.

I wonder if I can sue for loss of earnings?!?

<center><b>[url="http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sales/codenamebullet.asp"]Buy the story of the Triumph TR7/8 on DVD here[/url]</b></center>

Ianftr8
Swagester

Postby Ianftr8 » 26 May 2009 09:06

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Clancy</i>

Sadly I'll never again return to Duxford as I was criminalized for using a camcorder! I kid you not.

Gawd only knows what they'll threaten you chaps with for putting photos of their planes up on a public forum given that they wanted £200 off me for shooting some video of <i>OUR</i> cars!!!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi John,
Great to meet you again on Sunday - This NO VIDEO rule is just stupid - I just dont see what they have to hide, even the cheapest digital cameras and even my phone now have video available.
I really do hope that your trip wasn't all wasted.

Cheers
Ian

Ian Freeman
1979 TR8 DHC California car that never crossed the pond, started life as KDU 315V.
1962 Triumph Courier

john
TRiffic

Postby john » 26 May 2009 13:17

blimey lucky i didn't go then John as my mum and Dad were both heavily involved on the ole Lancaster so i would of been all over that with the camera [8D] lucky escape me thinks

[8 whole cylinders worth of punch to ram the world through the windshield and out the rear view mirror. Car & Driver]
1981 Grinnall TR7 v8
1981 Black FHC
1979 & 1980 Black Premium FHC(laid to rest) Sorry :-(

John