Anonymous

Project Manx

So, what’s happening on the classic car scene, especially wedge related events? Post your notices on here and let us all know about it.
Raider
Wedge Pilot

Project Manx

Postby Raider » 25 Oct 2008 12:17

I have realised that some on here may be interested in my rallying ambitions so -

In January 2005 I decided I would enter the Manx Historic rally in 2010.

This was for a number of reasons

1. I have always wanted to since Tony Pond won it[8D]
2. I will be 50 that year and it seemed like a now or never type of thing.
3. It can be a Club Triumph effort with service crew etc all from the club.
4 It has to be done!

Since then I have been working away on a low budget but now it is starting to feel real.

The car is to a sort of "clubman" fast road type of spec but obviously with all the right safety gear etc.

No I don't have an LSD, no I don't have straight cut gears in the LT77 and no, I don't have a V8 either!

I do have a 16valve engine (very second hand which I hope to get away with but will probably have to re-build one of the 2 spares I have). The car is now a 5 speeder and it is polybushed with uprated springs - but none of the clever rear suspension mods.

Oh and it's still running on SUs - so about 140/150BHP.

We should finish fitting the roll cage this afternoon and hopefully get the competiton seats in, the fire extinguisher located etc.

Then I need to finish plumbing in the fire extinguisher, get the cut off switch fitted and wired up and then I should be able to get the paperwork sorted with the MSA.

First proper rally should be April 2009 and we need to complete 4 National B events before we can get to the Manx in 2010.

So - a TR7 16V will be back competing on the Manx in 2010, the last time works cars competed there was in September 1978 when Brian Culceth came 2nd.

We won't finish 2nd!!![:D]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wish I could drive a TR7 like Tony Pond
North Yorks/Lancs border
http://raidertr7.blogspot.com/
TR7 Sprint FHC tarmac rally car - Speke built ... Barnoldswick modified - there's a big difference!!!

gordon kerr
Swagester

Postby gordon kerr » 25 Oct 2008 13:16

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
We won't finish 2nd!!![:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
<font color="green">Course you won't Martin, surely it's first or nothing! [;)]

Like your plans though, if you need any help let me know. Not much of a mechanic really but if an extra pair of hands or more transport or anything else you can think of at any time between now and the Manx would help to bring your plans to fruition just give me a shout. Plans like yours deserve all the support they can get!</font id="green">

<font color="green">Gordon
GRD 1980 Brooklands Green 2l FHC
OVC 1980 Platinum Silver 3.9l V8 FHC
Bedford, UK.
</font id="green">

tr7jim
Wedgista

Postby tr7jim » 25 Oct 2008 16:59

Raider,

Keeps us all informed of the events you enter before the main event so just incase any of us are available to watch or help etc.

Jim Johnson

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 25 Oct 2008 18:37

Well I have been following your progress with the car, Martin, on your blog & the CT forum. I think that the Manx 2010 is a great ambition & wish you well with it.

If you do any events down here in the south do let us know!

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red</font id="size1">

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 25 Oct 2008 19:49

All the events prior to the Manx are likely to be on the opposite side of the country Tony - sorry. I'll probably be doing rallies in the EMAMC area (East Midland Association of Motor Clubs) as that's half way between where I and my co-driver live plus it's also where I am from originally so family may get involved.

We managed to get the dashboard back in but not the wiring sorted - the roll cage is finally in at last though[:)]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
North Yorks/Lancs border
TR7 Sprint FHC tarmac rally car - Speke built ... Barnoldswick modified - there's a big difference!!!

john 215
TRemendous

Postby john 215 » 25 Oct 2008 20:04

Hi,
If you need any help with anything if you venture this far south then please dont hesitate to ask, would love too. Plus would love to have a look at your car if i am up your way (my dads family come from Barnoldswick, they all seen to live the Rolls Royce end of town)
Off to check your blog [;)]
Good Luck
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215

TR Tony
TRemendous

Postby TR Tony » 25 Oct 2008 20:29

Roll cage looks good Martin , looks like some gymnastics to get in & out over those side bars![:D] Its all coming together .....

Tony
<font size="1">1981 2L FHC Cavalry Blue
1980 3.5L V8 DHC Jaguar Regency Red</font id="size1">

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 25 Oct 2008 21:15

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by john 215</i>

Hi,
If you need any help with anything if you venture this far south then please dont hesitate to ask, would love too. Plus would love to have a look at your car if i am up your way (my dads family come from Barnoldswick, they all seen to live the Rolls Royce end of town)
Off to check your blog [;)]
Good Luck
Cheers John.

LIVE LIFE A QUARTER OF A MILE AT A TIME!
1979 3.5 FHC(STATUS PENDING!!)
1982 2.0 DHC NOW A 4.6,ON THE ROAD NOW KICKING AR5E !!!!
Read My Blog http://www.waringstowntr7s.co.uk/blogs/ ... hp/John215
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Just send me a PM when you are up this way John and if I am about I would be delighted to show you the car[:)]

North Yorks/Lancs border

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 02 Nov 2008 08:28

An update.
This shows the floor which I have painted in white smoothrite - removing all the sound deadening exposed good old BL primer!

In addition of course the welded in roll cage mountings needed paint too so an all over white makes it look much better.

The navigator's footbrace is positioned in place and the hand-held fire extinguisher was being sited - actually it's now further forward as it would have been under the navigator's seat if it had stayed as in the picture.

Here's the interior now complete with the seats back in etc.

All sounds great but a mile from home the clutch slave cylinder fell off! That will have to be dealt with by my local garage as I am away from home with work but I need the car next weekend for another training event - a Production car Autotest which will help Sarah and I build our teamwork

North Yorks/Lancs border

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 10 Nov 2008 19:43

Latest update

we took part in Bedford Car Club's production car autotest on Nov 9th.

Not much like a rally? No, but it proved a few things.

1. The car completed 450 miles in the weekend which is encouraging :) Granted there's a few things to be sorted - like the fuel gauge that read half full when it ran out (thanks Andy J for bringing me some petrol), the heater that doesn't work and the spark plug that was blown out 40 miles from home[:(!].

2. The Randle/Johnson partnership is working well. We didn't get a single test wrong which is far better than the Little Devils. It's also encouraging for when we are talking about far higher speeds on stages.

3. Sarah is really getting into it - making extra notes on the test diagrams for example and giving more guidance like "keep wide left, tight - 90 right etc".

4. Sarah likes the tests better when I really "have a go" - a liking for speed is a good thing :) Giving me a hard time for incurring a penaly by hitting a cone is also a good thing - the competitive edge is there.

5. I am getting more confident and the car is going to be really good.

6. The roll cage, seats and harnesses are all fine and no problem for us.

We only came 5th out of 7 CT entrants but that's not the issue really - we'll have to get used to finishing quite low down the leader table as we won't be doing many events and we'll always tend to be novices against more experienced competition.

All in all - very satisfied with progress 8)

Youtube video shortly

Project Manx 2010 - I wish I could drive a TR7 like Tony Pond
North Yorks/Lancs border

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 11 Nov 2008 06:52

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8YeCS8WuI

North Yorks/Lancs border

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 07 Dec 2008 08:43

December 2008 update -still on track.

Collected another TR7 (convertible)last week which delayed things slightly but -

Engine investigations have thrown up some options to consider! Most likely is to keep this one in until it cries enough whilst building up a new one.

Started the extinguisher installation.

North Yorks/Lancs border

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 01 Jan 2009 09:53

January 2009 update.

18 months to go and still on plan.

My competition licence is sorted, the engine has been prodded and tweaked which means it's running so much better with no overheating or other "issues".

The plumbed in extinguisher is almost sorted (just short of a bit of pipework) and the cut off switch is in the hands of a pro auto-electrician.

I am getting my head round the fact that I will need "group 4 brakes" for the Historic Rally Vehicle Document which basically means buying new AP racing discs and calipers - and the specific part numbers at that. If I get any change out of £1300 I''ll be very lucky[:(]

But - I can go rallying with "moderns" without this, I just need to get the car a "Competition Car Log book" which is the next priority, hopefully by the end of Jan.

Crash helmet. intercom and race overalls are also needed - all to FIA spec so that will be another £500-£600. Funnily enough when I have these I want to avoid working on the car in them so that's where the service crew come in

A planning session is due this weekend with Sarah so we'll have a clear idea of the inital programme - it should be along the lines of the car log booked and ready by the end of Jan with a rally entered for either March or April.[8D]

North Yorks/Lancs border
TR7 Sprint FHC tarmac rally car - Speke built ... Barnoldswick modified - there's a big difference!

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 01 Feb 2009 14:08

Feb 2009 update.

The extinguisher is plimbed in, the suits, helemts and intercom are bought and the car has it's competition log book from the MSA.

Further to that we have entered our first event - the Roskirk Stages on March 8th.

Here's the link http://www.bssmc.com/ If you click on the entrants you'll see us there[8D]

Oh, and just got a roll cage mount for the camcorder so we'll have some more in car video. Just my first stage rally since 1990 and my co-driver's first ever rally[:D]

North Yorks/Lancs border
TR7 Sprint FHC tarmac rally car - Speke built ... Barnoldswick modified - there's a big difference!

Raider
Wedge Pilot

Postby Raider » 09 Mar 2009 16:37

March update

Completed the Roskirk Stages and finished in 35th place.

I have one of the 4 signatures I need to be able to enter the Manx[:)]

Here's a video clip in car - not great but we brought the car home!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DTp2pxOl0Y

North Yorks/Lancs border