Anonymous

Big announcement

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
stevie_a
TRemendous

Big announcement

Postby stevie_a » 30 Sep 2024 19:28

With a sad heart I have to inform you all that the car is up for sale

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1785308

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
If it's not broke don't fix it.

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Big announcement

Postby Beans » 30 Sep 2024 23:13

Sad indeed :(
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 02 Oct 2024 23:44

Bummer, that looks a real nice car, low miles and I think a good price for such a good car
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'97 Ford Falcon Longreach 'S' ute,
'98 MG-F.
'83 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign S3.

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 06 Oct 2024 11:31

Nice car with some great sympathetic mods. Hope you are able to stay in touch with the scene even though you are selling your car.
1980 TR7 drophead now repainted and started refitting plus V8 upgrade
1977 TR7 fixedhead awaiting restoration
1981 TR7 drophead bodywork and mechanicals now done, completing trim currently.
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 06 Oct 2024 14:11

It is of course entirely your business, and you don't have to explain to us, you are after all entitled to privacy, but I do hope it's not unfortunate circumstances forcing your sale.
Wishing you all the best!
"Keep calm, relax, take a deep breath, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 07 Oct 2024 09:03

Don't worry Cobber I am well and all is good with me, I have owned a TR 7 since 1997 first my white one then this red one.
I just feel I am not using it, I feel I am only going down to Gaydon once a year and then two local car shows, and with they way the TR Drivers Club are going at the moment, it does not give me encouragement to stay with the TR7, I may have kept it if the TRDC didn't look as if it was going to disappear in the next couple of years. I just get no contact from them.
And no I will not join the Register.
In short I think I just need a change.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 08 Oct 2024 05:01

I'm glad that your not coming apart at the seams!
Now as I'm on the other side of the world, I now little of the TRDC, but I would be surprised that it's suffering from a bit of generational change, and with Triumph becoming an extinct marque there will be less new members as the number of cars that are potential candidates drops due some getting scrapped, wrecked, worn out or basically retired to an existence as garage queens. reduces the the number of members that can participate in events.
The members themselves age and wear out, loose interest etc.
As happen with clubs, there is a backbone of members who organise things, eventually their numbers start to dwindle with attrition, before long those left end up burning out and their places often get taken by the type that likes the sound of holding office but don't actually want to do the work, there are less participants in events, so they become less viable.
Less events, equates to less interest, which in turn causes more members to not bother, and so the rot sets in, this is what cause clubs to falter and eventually die out.
All a bit like this forum, I suspect it's on it's last shaky legs and will gasp it's last before long.

Maybe you need to replace the Triumph with something a little younger and with a more active user demographic,
I suggest the MGF/TF which is well catered for by an excellent forum: https://www.the-t-bar.com/ of which I myself am part of the Admin team.
The cars are a hoot, and affordable, with spares still available. The marque still exists but not really relevant as it is now a vastly different beast.
I don't know what the clubs are like in your part of the world but I imagine they are a bit more active.

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 08 Oct 2024 11:18

I agree with your post, if and when I sell my TR I may give it a rest for a while from Classic car ownership, BUT There is now a car I am looking at, just one single car.
And if my car goes quick enough I might just have to scratch this itch.
But I will need to sell first otherwise I will take a break.
The car in question is a very low mileage car with full known history was found and purchased by the owner, he is a enthusiast of this brand and owns several of the mark.
He purchased it from a car showroom where it had sat since new, only to go out for m.o.t and if it was a really nice day he bought it to recommission and replaced all rubbers, tyres,belts, fluids etc.
He only bought it to go to Italy to do a club run to the Stelvio pass.
On his return he was so suprise with it he has kept it for 4 years.
It has now only done 27000 miles.

And the answer to the question yes I possibly will get another car at some point.
The car in question is a Lotus Elan M100 S2

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 08 Oct 2024 15:31

Yes, clubs have a world wide problem. I've been a member of Old English Car Club for 21 years. A chapter a few cities up in Comox had that problem of the same people doing all the work. They burnt out and said if some didn't step up, they would shut down. No one did, they shut down. Our chapter membership is down this year, some members passing away, some regulars just not showing up, older ones selling their Triumphs and MGs and opting for the more stately Jaguars like the XK8 etc.. We've barely had people stepping up with some club openings still vacant. Younger people are few in between, one of the youngest being 27, he's been a part of the Triumph scene through his Dad since before he was 13 when I first met him at main land events, they just moved here to leave the hustle and bustle of the main land behind. Younger people have no idea what my car is, asking what country it is made in, is it a Ferrari, is it a Lamborghini.
- - -TR7 Spider - - - 1978 Spitfire- - - - 1976 Spitfire - - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 2013 Volt - Yellow TCT

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 09 Oct 2024 17:49

I completely agree with you Cobber and FI Spyder regarding the situation with clubs and the scene in general. It’s all about the demographic. As for this forum, it seems to me that the decline is mostly a result of people switching to using Facebook as their primary resource.
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 09 Oct 2024 19:48

And the fact that membership was closed for a long time because of not wanting to deal with spammers
I and others did offer to help deal with the spammers but, our offers were ignored.
We didn't even get as much as a "Thanks but no thanks"
With no new members of course it will die out, neglect is a sure fire way to kill off the forum.
And how often did the forum go AWOL for weeks and even months?
Bloody Arsebook is not the only reason, the trouble with that form of social media is it's for kiddies without concentration spans, anything posted is soon lost under an avalanche of nonsense about what some vacuous spotty oik had for lunch! Absolutely useless as a technical reference.

You have to remember that I am on the admin team of another very active car forum and that has no such membership problems or lack of activity.
Now our forum owner hasn't even posted for some time, and probably isn't even aware of poor old Hasbeen's demise.
Mind this is the onetime that he will check in and as a result of my criticisms....end up banning me!
But this place is so buggered so not much of a loss to me.

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

stevie_a
TRemendous

Postby stevie_a » 09 Oct 2024 22:55

Well said !!!!

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 10 Oct 2024 08:19

It might be possible to breathe some life back into it, but it would take a bit of effort, if it were to change hands, it would requie going through the membership and notifying them by PM or email that it's back up and running, after all how many just didn't bother logging back in after the many periods of the forum going AWOL, it would never be as active or as big as it was. as the damage has been done, and time and attrition will have reduced the potential membership pool.
It might be possible to merge it with another forum to share the costs??? I'm not sure what would make a good fit, perhaps a joint forum for obsolete marques in a similar situation. It could maybe a set up where by there is a forum that contains a selection of sub forums dedicated to their individual makes ans models. It would be better to not include too many mainstream marques and models as it would become dominated by 12 year olds airing the expert opinions on how everyone cars are shit and that we all should have whatever the flavour of the month is with the 12 y/o bogan/chav/redneck boy racer hot hatch set.
More like a single place that caters for similar cars that would be of interest to a similar demographic. As such it might generate some cross interest between different marques.

This is all very hypothetical as I don't see it happening any time soon.

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Cobber
TRemendous

Postby Cobber » 10 Oct 2024 16:11

I just looked and the last time our intrepid fearless leader was logged on was the 10th of September 2024.
So not exactly what you might call hands on!

'80 Triumph TR7.
'98 MG-F.

Rich K
Wedge Pilot

Postby Rich K » 12 Oct 2024 10:40

I agree with your observations Cobber, especially regarding Facebook. It has no place as a technical reference point or depository of facts and information. Unfortunately it seems to be favoured by a lot of people, including those of an older demographic who seem to be drawn to this brainless form of instant gratification as much as the younger generations.
Ford Ranger Wildtrak
Jaguar XKR Supercharged