Anonymous

Clip for slave cylinder pushrod??

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
trekcarbonboy
Swagester

Clip for slave cylinder pushrod??

Postby trekcarbonboy » 20 Dec 2010 03:01

Just replaced my clutch cylinders and had this extra clip in the box when the job was done. Looked in the almighty book and found that it was a clip to hold the pushrod to the clutch lever. So out came the slave cylinder and I tried to fit it to no avail. It hasn't had this clip for the past 11 years since I fitted the 5spd, so I guess I'm not too worried about it.
I suppose if I ever have the trans out again I'll fit the clip, but I'm not taking it out just for this.

Should I have any concerns?

Craig

Workshop Help
TRiffic

Postby Workshop Help » 20 Dec 2010 12:56

Provided all is stock inside the bellhousing, the clip is there in place. Without it the pushrod will fall and the clutch will not operate.

I suggest you save the new clip in a labelled zip lock bag in your box of spare parts.

Mildred Hargis

trekcarbonboy
Swagester

Postby trekcarbonboy » 20 Dec 2010 14:21

Ok just read 2 other threads where both Troy and Michael fastened the clip in situ. I knew this was possible. Now I'm determined to make it happen! I love a challenge!
In the mean time clutch works fine. So it would seem the clip is a really good idea but not a requirement. [:)]

Craig

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 20 Dec 2010 17:05

When you replaced the slave cylinder did you leave the pushrod in the transmission? If so it was probably still clipped to the lever and the new clip is now just a spare part in which case save it until you have to replace the clutch like Mildred says.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spitfire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra - Yellow TCT

Shauniedawn
Swagester

Postby Shauniedawn » 20 Dec 2010 17:34

Is this helpful?

Shaun

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 20 Dec 2010 19:07

Mine looked like this:

on the bench

and installed

The cable ties in Shauns pic are not standard. The clip seemed pretty secure on mine, wouldn't like to have to try and replace it without the gearbox out. If the rod/clip stayed in the bellhousing OK when you replaced the cylinder I would leave it be.

Alan
Saab 9000 Stg 1
Saab 9000 2.3 FPT Auto
'81 TR7 DHC

saabfast
TRiffic

Postby saabfast » 20 Dec 2010 19:10

Just noticed Shauns clip and that end of the fork are different to mine, and I thought mine were standard (replacement from S&S was vitually the same as that taken out). Why the differnce?

Alan
Saab 9000 Stg 1
Saab 9000 2.3 FPT Auto
'81 TR7 DHC

trekcarbonboy
Swagester

Postby trekcarbonboy » 20 Dec 2010 19:51

NOPE! Rod was out on the floor with the rest of the parts. Used a mirror to look inside and there was no clip. When re-assembling I just fit the back of the rod into the divot and rested the front gently on the bottom of the cylinder hole. I then carefully put the cylinder in place inserting the rod and taking care not to pull foward. Everything engages properly. Seems to be sandwiched in just right.
I tried inserting the rod with the clip in place using a long piece of fuel line to hold it in place and guide it. I ran out of patience but I think it will work, it was just tough guiding it using a mirror.... all my movements where backwards.[:o)] Gonna try it again in the spring at my cousins shop so I'm not crawling around on the floor. I'll take the oil filter out next time too to give a little extra room. Might try to use my helmet cam that I use for mountainbiking instead of using a mirror. If I set that up with a monitor I think I'm good to go.
I'm gonna use a metal tube and hold the clip still with a rubberband then give the tube a whack!
Thanks for the pics Shaun. I saw those in one of the other threads I was reading. One of the ones that actually gave me hope of fitting this without removing the trans. Got 2 good ideas from those.

Craig

trekcarbonboy
Swagester

Postby trekcarbonboy » 20 Dec 2010 19:53

Alan, I was supplied the same clip that you have. And it looks the same as the repair books. I think Shauns is a bit of a freestyle design. [;)]

Craig

Shauniedawn
Swagester

Postby Shauniedawn » 20 Dec 2010 21:18

Sorry - should have pointed out that this particular arm was off my Land Rover. Same (LT77) - but different if you see what I mean.

Shaun

Also notice that Shawn has reinforced the pivot point on his clutch arm.

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 20 Dec 2010 22:49

Old style VS new style. If you buy a new one, it's what you get. The dimple on the side gives you access to the bolts holding the transmission in place.

Clay

[url="http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/Site/Welcome.html"]My Triumph Site[/url], [url="http://web.me.com/jclaythompson/Technical"]Technical Stuff[/url], [url="https://docs.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wo&authuser=0&pli=1#folders/folder.0.0B6b9tx6hnkzLYzM5MmNhYWItZjliYS00M2QzLWE1M2YtNWNlZWIzZjExZTdm"]Download Page[/url]

trekcarbonboy
Swagester

Postby trekcarbonboy » 09 Jan 2011 02:55

SUCCESS! [:D][:D] I was able to fasten the slave pushrod clip without taking the transmission out. I used a 3" piece of fuel hose, 1" pvc tubing just longer than the pushrod, and a rubberband. I put the clip on the pushrod, inserted the rod into the fuel hose then the hose into the pvc. I then held the clip tight with a rubberband which I think I could have done without because the fuel hose held the clip in place just fine. I removed the oil filter to give more room to work then positioned the pushrod and clip on the clutch lever using a mirror and gave the pvc a light whack with a hammer. Worked 1st time. [:)] Then I cut the rubberband and gently pulled everything out while holding the lever in with a screwdriver (don't want to pull the lever off). Super happy to not have to pull the trans out! [:D]
If I had to do it again I would only make the fuel hose 1" to reduce the likelyhood of pulling the lever off. The slight curl in the hose held the rod a bit too securely.
Here's a couple pics. Nice to have an option to pulling the trans.

Craig

Workshop Help
TRiffic

Postby Workshop Help » 09 Jan 2011 12:53

Simply Magnificent!!!

And, Magnificently Simple!!!

Human ingenuity at it's best and no computerized software in sight.

This is one repair method to be saved and treasured.

Mildred Hargis

Spectatohead
Swagester

Postby Spectatohead » 09 Jan 2011 18:23

Really well done! Awesome mechanical improvisation there. Simple, yet elegant. I'll really have to remember this one. Many knuckles will be spared.

Jim Clark
'80 TR8
'97 Maxima 5spd
ImageImage

jclay (RIP 2018)
TRemendous

Postby jclay (RIP 2018) » 09 Jan 2011 23:13

Thanks, Craig!

Posted to Technical Site:

http://web.me.com/jclaythompson/Technical/Clutch_Arm_Clip.html

Clay

[url="http://web.mac.com/jclaythompson/Site/Welcome.html"]My Triumph Site[/url], [url="http://web.me.com/jclaythompson/Technical"]Technical Stuff[/url], [url="https://docs.google.com/?hl=en&tab=wo&authuser=0&pli=1#folders/folder.0.0B6b9tx6hnkzLYzM5MmNhYWItZjliYS00M2QzLWE1M2YtNWNlZWIzZjExZTdm"]Download Page[/url]