Anonymous

clutch slave pushrod....

Here’s where to discuss anything specific about your standard(ish) car or something that applies to the model in general.
nervousnewowner
TRiffic

Postby nervousnewowner » 09 Feb 2010 19:12

and deb, i would think length of time will depend on how you drive, its more concerning by what the mechanic means by adapted, as the rod is just a rod with a wider end held on by a plastic clip, do you know exactly what he did? hard to engage gear when cold prob normal, i guess gearbox oil change may help a bit, and have heard theres an oil pump or something in the gearboxes and tr7s aren't supposed to be towed very far because of this.... is this right?

the project at birth, watch it evolve...I hope...

busheytrader
TRemendous

Postby busheytrader » 09 Feb 2010 21:15

It's not good to tow a car fitted with a LT77 gearbox as per our 5 speed 7's. I think my original 7 handbook says the propshaft should be disconnected if towing more than a few miles and then stay below 30mph.

2nd gear is always slow to engage until the gearbox warms up. This is normal even with the correct fluid. (There are several threads on the forum about this)

Deb, I can't see what your mechanic could have done apart from make the pushrod longer or shorter but I'm stumped as to the benefit.

Adam

TR7 V8 DHC Jaguar Solent Blue. 9.35cr Range Rover V8, Holley 390cfm, JWR Dual Port, 214 Cam, Lumention, Tubular Manifolds, S/S Single Pipe Exh, 3.08 Rear, 200lb Spax & PolyBushes all round, Anti- Dive, Strut-Top Roller Bearings, Capri Vented Discs & Calipers, Braided Hoses, 4 Speed Rear Cylinders, Uprated Master Cylinder & Servo, AT 5 Spokes and Cruise Lights, S/S Heater Pipes, Replacement Fuel Tank. No Door Stickers. Mine since July 1986, V8 from 1991

Shauniedawn
Swagester

Postby Shauniedawn » 09 Feb 2010 23:27

Rod and clip (OK this is Land Rover - TR7 almost identical)

Oil Pump - driven by layshaft - which is stationery when engine isn't running.

Read the rebuild thread for more detail.

http://www.forum.triumphtr7.com/topic.a ... C_ID=11549

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12691409@N08/

nervousnewowner
TRiffic

Postby nervousnewowner » 10 Feb 2010 00:50

i knew there would be a thread on it somewhere, and it would be interesting to know exactly what the mechanic did..... deb.... ask them and let us know, we're all....well 2 of us waiting to hear....[:D]

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 10 Feb 2010 03:11

When I picked up my Spider in Fulsom, CA the temperature was 95F and it shifted fine. After driving three days I finally got to drive it at 65F in the morning when the weather happened to drop (at Blaine Washinton). I ran into the second gear baulkiness (that I didn't know about) for the first time. The time it takes for the temperature to raise so it's not a factor depends on the ambient temp (your starting point) and the type of oil you have in it. (It was regular 90W at the time I'm guessing).

If your clutch is dragging (due to wear, not clutch plate) extending the shaft (by putting in a spacer etc.) would compensate for lost motion. It would be interesting to hear if this is what was done
with Deb's car.

Re: Towing: gearboxes with internal oil pumps should not be towed so the driveshaft turns. Some should be limited below 30mph and for not many miles. Some, like some Ford trucks, the company should not be towed like this at all. If fact one case was won where a Ford truck was improperly towed from it's illegaly parked spot to impound yard and the truck owner won his case of damaged transmission based on the Ford company advisory.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

Debpazvin
Wedge Pilot

Postby Debpazvin » 10 Feb 2010 21:08

I'll get back to you on that one guys, all I know is he "adapted" something so I could get some more life out of the existing clutch and it just changed the biting point. No probs tho.Not very technical I know. Debs x

1980 TR7 Premium
"Christine" Limited Edition of 400

.Image

nervousnewowner
TRiffic

Postby nervousnewowner » 11 Feb 2010 09:10

ok slave went back on yesterday, but didnt get round to bleeding system as my son who was due to help decided to look for a new car and ended up trawling the garages with him for the rest of the day, then it tried to snow so didnt feel like lying under the car, soon as its bled will let you know that everything is or isnt working...... it bolted on suprisingly easy though which after the previous posts i am now worried about...[:D]

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 11 Feb 2010 18:32

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nervousnewowner</i>

it bolted on suprisingly easy though which after the previous posts i am now worried about...[:D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Mine bolted on pretty easy too. I had the slave piston pushed all the way in so the rod had least amount to be pushed in.

TR7 Spider - 1978 Spifire - 1976 Spitfire - 1988 Tercel 4X4 - Kali on Integra - 1991 Integra

Troy ODoherty
Wedge Pilot

Postby Troy ODoherty » 12 Feb 2010 00:26

Success[:D] Whilst I was modifing the plate to allow the slave cylinder to fit on the sprint engine I am fitting to one of the 7s, the slave rod fell out.[:(!]. With a little bit of jiggling and a long screwdriver I managed to re attach the push rod and clip.[:D]Much better than having to pull the box out again.

Cheers Troy

Workshop Help
TRiffic

Postby Workshop Help » 12 Feb 2010 03:03

Congratulations!!!

Now for extra BONUS points, please elucidate the details on how this miracle occurred. Many are the souls who seek this grail of sacred knowledge that you have discovered. Verily, it rivals Ponce DeLeons fabled Fountain of Youth in significance.

Mildred Hargis

Troy ODoherty
Wedge Pilot

Postby Troy ODoherty » 12 Feb 2010 03:49

Alas it is not quite up there with parting the red sea or similar. I am fortunate to have a couple of spare release forks and clips in the shed. I assembled and dis assembled the clip and rod from the fork a couple of times to see how it was done. I then carefully pulled the release fork in the bellhousing as far forward as it would come without forcing it. I then eased the rod and clip into position so that one leg of the clip was in the round hole that it goes into.I then eased the release fork back in the houseing by puhing on the side of the clip that had not engaged over the end of the release fork.Once it was back so that it was firm I then pushed on the screwdriver untill it popped into place. I then gently pulled the slave rod forward to check that it had engaged properly. It took a couple of goes. It would be much easier on a hoist but still do able on the floor.
I then reinstalled the slave cylinder and checked that I had a peddle. Finally I opened a beer and thought That was 10 mins well spent[:D]

Cheers Troy

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 12 Feb 2010 09:35

Troy, that is very well done.

How fortunate for me that I have such a dextrous bloke so close, in
Ozie distances, [about 200Km]. If ever I have the misfortune to
have my pushrod come out, I'll know where to come.

I wonder if I could still drive a clutchless car that far?

Hasbeen

nervousnewowner
TRiffic

Postby nervousnewowner » 12 Feb 2010 15:19

yeah but wrong side of the world if mine had fallen out.... was going to bleed the clutch today but had to go out and tomorrow am heading to shepton if i wake up in time so watch this space sunday night.....[:p]

FI Spyder
TRemendous

Postby FI Spyder » 12 Feb 2010 18:14

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Troy ODoherty</i>

With a little bit of jiggling and a long screwdriver I managed to re attach the push rod and clip
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

....so assembling the Cutty Sark in a bottle would be no problem.[:)]

Beans
TRemendous

Postby Beans » 12 Feb 2010 20:24

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Century Gothic, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Troy ODoherty</i>

... With a little bit of jiggling and a long screwdriver I managed to re attach the push rod and clip ...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Beginners luck [:D]

Good job you got it back in place using common sense [;)]

<center>Image
<font color="blue"><i>1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, currently being restored)
1981 TR7 FHC Sprint (better known as 't Kreng)</font id="blue">
<b>[url="http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/"]<u><b><font size="2"><font color="red">My Weblog</font id="red"></font id="size2"></b></u>[/url]</b></i></center>