Anonymous

Catastrophe!

The all purpose forum for any TR7/8 related topics.
Hasbeen
TRemendous

Catastrophe!

Postby Hasbeen » 20 Sep 2019 11:01

Haven't used the 7 much lately, as I have not been doing much other than shopping center trips to town.

I took it for a trip to town yesterday, as I would not be parking in a shopping center car park. Coming into summer it was hot, 29C, so I switched the air conditioning on. Nothing but hot air.

It is my own fault, it must be 6 months since I used it, so I suppose the unlubricated compressor shaft seal has leaked. With that large expanse of black plastic dash & our near vertical & hot sun, the 7 is no car for the Oz summer without air. Hope a recharge will fix it.

Hasbeen

Beans
TRemendous

Re: Catastrophe!

Postby Beans » 20 Sep 2019 18:14

Oh ... I briefly thought you'd crashed the car or something :roll:
Had the same problem with my black Defender earlier in the year.
At the time it was around 40°C, as the car was already booked for its annual inspection and service I decided to brave the heat ...
1976 TR7 FHC (currently being restored ...)
1980 TR7 DHC (my first car, a.k.a. Kermette)
1981 TR7 FHC (Sprint engined a.k.a. 't Kreng)

http://www.tr7beans.blogspot.com/

simps
Scuttle Shaker

Postby simps » 21 Sep 2019 07:33

First world problems, huh????

Hasbeen
TRemendous

Postby Hasbeen » 08 Oct 2019 10:07

Horrible drive into town today, [26Km] in 38 C heat. The air coming in the ventilation system was hotter than the ambient temperature, but I haven't looked for a reason.

My trusty auto electrician pressure tested the system, & found no leaks in an hour of holding pressure.

Regassed I drove home in beautiful cool, & for the 100th time said to myself, "I must drive this car more often". Now I have a new reason. Not using the air allows the seal to dry, & leak. Running it keeps it lubricated & gas tight.

Hasbeen